Saturday, August 1, 2009

a weekend in the 'jing.

It is Monday afternoon, and I find myself at the end of my third weekend in Beijing. I was reflecting last night on elements of life in Beijing that seem "normal" to most of us foreigners who live here, especially the ones that have resided here for awhile, but how they may not seem so average to most.

One element that I love about this city is that it is such an international city; a melting pot for incredibly interesting people from every walk of life, every area of the world and each person's draw to China is completely unique and different. Also, as I have stated many times before...I find much enjoyment from observing the absurdities of Chinese culture. Let's have a peek into a weekend in the 'Jing...

Friday night, indulging in Beijing's variety, we decided to grab some Russian food in the Dongzhimen area. Now, I'm aware that Russian food may not seem so "out there", BUT, Russian food with a Chinese flare is always an adventure (and by "adventure", I mean amusing). My favorite element of the evening was the Russian duo performing on a stage at the front with a large, plasma screen TV behind them playing a cooking show (of course, who wouldn't watch to learn how to cook while listening to Russian music).

Saturday featured a visit from THE Michael Bumann (lovely to see a Minnesota face and bond over a shared love for our great state). After meeting up in Wudaokou, we hopped on the subway and headed down to the Forbidden City to one of Michael's favorite hole-in-the-wall Chinese joints. Of course, upon our arrival, the restaurant had been demolished in place of a newer, renovated shop. SO, we set back out in search of a hole in the wall...and we succeeded. We relished in a delicious plate of Kung-Pao Chicken laced with MSG, and some interesting leafy veggie. Afterward, we strolled around Tiananmen, musing how we get to call this beautiful and incredibly interesting place "home" (at least for the time being). It is also worth mentioning that we were asked for our picture 5 times during our little Tiananmen visit.
Saturday evening featured a celebration of the birth of the one and only Philippa Nelson (aka, my roommate). The evening commenced with a fabulous meal at our favorite neighborhood spot, Lush, followed by an evening of crazy dancing at Wudaokou's new hot spot, "The Chamber".

Sunday featured another celebration of Pip at our favorite neighborhood Xinjian restaurant, enjoying great chuanr and beer, the pinnacle of a Beijing summer evening.

I realize that as I'm wrapping up this post (I need to go buy some groceries) that this really isn't the most cohesive post. BUT...another glimpse into a weekend in the life.

until next time,
k

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
My Life As Foreigner - Free Blogger Templates - by Templates para novo blogger